Prior to breaking ground, a lot of consultation and planning took place with valuable insight and input provided by dozens of stakeholders. The fantastic design by Duggan Morris Architects fits effortlessly in the Georgian surrounds whilst maintaining a modern feel and plenty of “Wow” factor. Beautiful and functional design sits hand in hand with BREEAM “excellent” status, considered by many to be the pinnacle certification in sustainable and environmentally friendly architecture and construction.
The ORTUS has received industry accolades through the following awards:
|RIBA 2014 – National and London Region Awards. The ORTUS was also mid-listed for the prestigious RIBA Stirling Prize. The Royal Institute of British Architects champions better buildings, communities and the environment through architecture. The RIBA award and the Stirling Prize are considered the pinnacle recognition of architectural excellence. Link to website|
|BCI Awards – Best Public Building (<£10m). ORTUS been recognised as the best building of 2014 built for less than £10m, by the British Construction Industry Awards. The awards, one of the longest running programmes of critical recognition for the construction industry, recognise all-round excellence in construction, including the overall design and delivery of buildings and civil engineering projects. We were was also shortlisted for the ‘Best Practice’ Award, and more significantly, ‘The Prime Minister’s Better Public Building Award’.|
|Building Better Healthcare Awards 2014 – Grand Prix Design Winner and Best Mental Healthcare Development.Building better Healthcare Awards celebrate innovation, architecture, people, products and services that are helping to transform patient care in the UK. Link to website|
|Civic Trust 2014 Award. The Civic Trust Awards scheme was established in 1959 to recognise the very best in architecture, design, planning, landscape and public art. Awards are given to projects that demonstrate high quality architecture or design, have demonstrated sustainability, are accessible to all users and have made a positive cultural, social or economic contribution to the local community. Link to website|
|Brick Awards 2013 – Best Education Building & Supreme Winner. The annual Brick Awards is one of the longest established and most widely respected design awards in the UK now in its 38th year. The Awards recognise excellence in design and construction using brick. Link to website|
|Winner of NLA Awards 2014 in the Best in Education category. The New London Awards recognise the very best in architecture, planning and development in the capital. Link to website|
|Other notable mentions:
– Shortlisted as Best Training Venue, Best In-House Tech and Best Accessibility at the 2017 Academic Venue Awards
Alongside awards for the design of the building did you know that the ORTUS also has amazing eco-credentials?
– An A-rating on our Energy Performance Certificate
– Photovoltaic Array / Solar Panels on our roof saving 5 tons of carbon emissions per year, generating over 10,000 KWH of electricity
– A naturally ventilated building with automatic window controls operated by sensors that monitor CO2, humidity and temperature. This means we have no noisy and polluting air-conditioning or heating units
– Use of A-rated materials in the construction, cutting down drastically on pollutants and chemical hazards
– A ground source heat pump that circulates water through 7 concrete boreholes that are 120m deep, providing under-floor heating & cooling. The earth is a constant 11C at that depth and so the water is cooled during the summer and heated during the winter.
– Use of timers and light sensors to manage low-energy consumption light bulbs
– Large surface-area of energy efficient glass allowing plenty of daylight into the building, cutting down on the need for artificial light
– A-rated and efficient boilers
Which all add up to our BREEAM “Excellent” status.